latest comments

Nail Your Books (6)

Monday, March 4, 2013

 
Nail Your Books is an original feature that I created to show off off some awesome book related nail ideas! It can be anything from a book inspired design to a really cute matching nail polish. This feature combines my love of both books and nail polish. Some people match their nails to their outfit, I match mine to my books!

Smart Girls Get What They Want

Hello Fellow Book Nerds!

This week's edition of Nail Your Books was inspired by Smart Girl's Get What They Want by Sarah Strohmeyer. Spring is nearly here and it is my favorite time of the year! The birds are singing, the sky is gorgeous and all those beautiful spring colors come out to play! I was so ready to switch gear from all those dark nail polish to trendy spring colors. This book cover really spoke to me and I instantly knew what I was going to do! I just had to create a special look for this fun and cute read!

The Supplies

  • Finger Paints in Paper Mache or any white polish that is opaque.
  • Essie in Mint Candy Apple
  • Essie in Turqoise and Caicos
  • A sponge or eyeshadow sponge for blending
  • A brush or q-tips and nail polish remover for clean up
  • A good top coat such as Seche Vite to seal your mani

For this mani we will be using the gradient or ombre method, which is one of my personal favorites! It's super easy, fun and the results are breathtaking! You may remember this method from my last nail your books mani, if so then your all set! I'll be doing it a little differntly this time but it's still easy as pie!

Now your ready for a really fun and super cute mani! I always make sure to start off by using a great clear base coat so my nails don't get stained. My personal favorite is Seche Vite Clear but you can use anything you have. I also applied a nail strengthener to my nails by Chi before the base coat.



Once you get your base coat on and it's dried, the fun begins! Start with Paper Mache by Finger Paints or any opaque white polish of your choice. Paint your nails white, so that we have a fresh canvas to work on. It's okay if the tips aren't perfect. As you'll see in mine, we're going to cover them up anyways!


See that mess at the tips? haha No worries, we're about to cover it all and no one will ever know! ;) Once your white polish dries, you'll go back over it using the gradient method. You can use the traditional sponging method, but this time around I painted mine in solid blocks and then went back after and sponged over it. It came out fine but I think the all sponging method is best! It gives a more gradual ombre look, which I prefer!

 
Next I added a layer of the lighter green, Mint Candy Apple, about 2/3 of the way down the nail.  And then let it dry. About 3 minutes.
 

Lastly, add the darkest color, Tuqoise and Caicos onto the nail about 2/3 of the way down. And let dry about 3 minutes or so.
 

I then went back in to blend it out so it wasn't so blocky looking. I placed small dots of polish on a piece of paper and dipped an eyeshadow sponge into it and then sponged it on my nails where the colors met to give it a more blended look.




Then lastly, grab a q-tip dipped in polish remover or an eyeshadow brush and clean up the edges. Seal with your favorite top coat, mine is Seche vite Clear!

 

Voila! A really fun, cute spring mani that is perfect for spring! You can also go back and add red stripes to the ring finger if you want to match the book even more! I wanted to add this but...I was exhausted and my bed was calling my name. Haha



So what do you think of my book inspired mani? Will you be trying this one out? I'd love to know! So make sure you leave me some comment love and don't forget to stop back by tomorrow for my review of Smart Girls Get What They Want.
 
Happy Reading!

6 comments :

  1. I'm very impressed-I'm usually tired after just doing my clear coat, let alone painting multiple colors. I love how this matches and is pretty for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty!! I like that design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I LOVE those Essie colors and they worked great with the cover. Very nice idea for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg! that is SO impressive. I will have to use this method when I paint my nails the next time. I LOVE it!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

About me

  • This blog is a little bit of everything!
  • Hi! My name is Cristina, I am 29 years old and from Texas! I love my bunnies, books and blogging about my favorite things!
My favorite scarf in the whole wide world! :) photo 10363858_10152526761926237_5252620513132971013_n.jpg

Cristina

Founder of the website