latest comments

Review: The Sweetest Spell

Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Sweetest Spell by Suzanne Selfors
Release Date: August 21, 2012
Publisher: Walker & Company
Pages: 416
Buy The Book: Amazon

The Sweetest SpellEmmeline Thistle has always had a mysterious bond with cows, beginning on the night of her birth, when the local bovines saved the infant cast aside to die in the forest. But Emmeline was unaware that this bond has also given her a magical ability to transform milk into chocolate, a very valuable gift in a kingdom where chocolate is more rare and more precious than gold or jewels. Then one day Owen Oak, a dairyman’s son, teaches Emmeline to churn milk into butter—and instead she creates a delicious chocolate confection that immediately makes her a target for every greedy, power-hungry person in the kingdom of Anglund. Only Owen loves Emmeline for who she truly is, not her magical skill. But is his love enough to save her from the danger all around her?

In a departure from her contemporary teen romances, Suzanne Selfors crafts an irresistible re-imagined fairy tale that will tempt readers with a delicious story of love that is sweeter than the richest chocolate.

First of all, I love the cover to this book. It's totally  bewitching and I can't stop staring at it! The story was interesting but the character's really stood out to me in this one. The main character, Emmeline was the under dog. She was an "unwanted" because of her disfigured foot, and was looked down upon because of this. Most people didn't look at her or speak to her. But boy did things change when people found out she had an extremely rare talent!

I think if I were Emmeline I would've been extremely depressed, and always questioning if people liked me for me, or my gift of making chocolate. That totally wasn't the case with her. She was good natured and had a wonderful attitude. She was definitely much more gracious and kind than I would've been !

Owen, sigh, Owen, Owen, Owen! What can I say about him? He is the ultimate knight in shining armor! He was loving, gracious, sweet and caring. He was someone Emmeline could totally be herself with! They had a wonderful and unique bond and their relationship is by far my favorite part of this story!

There were parts I found cute and entertaining, like "the husband market" where woman go once a year to purchase a husband. They would save their coin all year in hopes of purchasing the most handsome man in the land. This totally cracked me up! I'm totally glad we don't have to purchase a husband, if we did it'd be a loooong wait! My coin intake is pretty small! haha

Overall I enjoyed this book and really liked it! It's not one of my fave's but I still found it enjoyable. I think maybe fantasy just isn't my genre, but I haven't read too many so I'll have to check out a few more before I make a final decision on that. 



4 comments :

  1. I haven't heard of this book before. I'm not much into fantasy, but I like some of it. The husband market sound really funny. Great review chick!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been curious about this one because I really liked Mad Love.
    This may be a little too fairy tale for me (I also reviewed a fairy book today!) but I am a big fan of the author so I'll put it on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many people are saying so-so things about this one so I've been afraid to give it a chance. I do love the idea of a Husband Market though! Women are always put in that role so it is funny to see that men are the ones sold off for once. Not that selling a human being is something I consider a good thing just funny that the shoe is on the other foot for once in life.

    Thanks for the great review, sorry this one didn't quite wow you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one that I have been wanting for a while now! The cover is gorgeous! and it sounds like such a cute book! Your review is sweet, and I cannot wait to read it too :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

About me

  • This blog is a little bit of everything!
  • Hi! My name is Cristina, I am 29 years old and from Texas! I love my bunnies, books and blogging about my favorite things!
My favorite scarf in the whole wide world! :) photo 10363858_10152526761926237_5252620513132971013_n.jpg

Cristina

Founder of the website