latest comments

Vixen

Monday, September 12, 2011



Vixen by Jillian Larken
Release Date: December 14, 2010
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 432
Format: Hardcover
Source: Library
Intrest: Debut Novel
Challenge: 2011 Reading Challenge
Buy the Book: Amazon


Jazz . . . Booze . . . Boys . . . It’s a dangerous combination.

Every girl wants what she can’t have. Seventeen-year-old Gloria Carmody wants the flapper lifestyle—and the bobbed hair, cigarettes, and music-filled nights that go with it. Now that she’s engaged to Sebastian Grey, scion of one of Chicago’s most powerful families, Gloria’s party days are over before they’ve even begun . . . or are they?

Clara Knowles, Gloria’s goody-two-shoes cousin, has arrived to make sure the high-society wedding comes off without a hitch—but Clara isn’t as lily-white as she appears. Seems she has some dirty little secrets of her own that she’ll do anything to keep hidden. . . .

Lorraine Dyer, Gloria’s social-climbing best friend, is tired of living in Gloria’s shadow. When Lorraine’s envy spills over into desperate spite, no one is safe. And someone’s going to be very sorry. . . .

From debut author Jillian Larkin, VIXEN is the first novel in the sexy, dangerous, and ridiculously romantic new series set in the Roaring Twenties . . . when anything goes.


I will be honest, I mostly pick what book I am going to read next ( buy, or check out) based on the cover. No, I don't mean reading what it says on the back, I mean the picture on the front! Yep, I'm that girl! Most of the time I pick up books and take them home based souly on the cover art, without ever having read what the book is even about. And that happens to be the case with this one!

I have always been in love with the 20's era! The clothes, the makeup, the music, everything! I grew up on classic movies, watching anything from silent movies starring Rudolph Valentino to "talkies" starring Barbra Stanwyck, Carol Lumbard and so many more!

Luckily for me, and anyone else who basis their reads off of cover art, Jillian Larkin totally delivers on this debut novel!

Vixen is the story of 3 girls.Set against the back drop of Chicago in the roaring 20's. Prohibition, jazz, speakeasies, booze and boys!  Gloria Carmody, the girl who seems to have it all! Wealth, beauty, power, and a gorgeous fiance! What more could any girl ask for? Gloria seems to have it all, yet she finds herself chasing  what she can't have. Then there's Gloria's best friend Lorraine Dyer, the socalite who is always trying to be the center of attention! She prides herself on setting the latest trends, and living on the edge. She spends most of the book trying to get out from under Gloria's perfect shadow. But is Gloria's life as perfect as it appears? Then enters Gloria's cousin from Pennsylvania, Clara Knowles. Goody-two-shoes Clara has arrived to help her cousin prepare for her wedding, or so we think! Clara is running from a past that she will do anything to  keep hidden! But what will happen if it all comes tumbling out?

Vixen is an incredble debut by Jillian Larkin! I was completely captivated by the story! The roaring 20's, flappers, nightclubs, secrets, lies, deciet, mobsters, and so much more! It has a little bit of everything! Romance that will warm your heart, mystery that will intrigue you, and a total suprise ending! I loved every minute of this book and can't wait to read Jillian's next addition to The Flappers series, Ingenue.

This is another novel I can't wait to buy and add to my own personal collection and I'm sure you will too!

Don't forget to check out the website to learn more about author Jillian Larkin, info on the the sequel, and to listen to some awesome jazz music! http://www.randomhouse.com/teens/flappers/

Also stop by The Book Scout to check out Jillian's Jazz Playlist from the 1920's that you won't want to miss! http://thebookscout.blogspot.com/2011/01/blog-tour-jillian-larkin-guest-post.html



 


1 comment :

  1. I wanted to like Vixen so bad! I, like you love anything 1920s, but I was so disappointed with this one. I thought the book trailer was better than the book haha. Well, I am glad that you liked it, just because I didn't doesn't mean no one else will :)

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

About me

  • This blog is a little bit of everything!
  • Hi! My name is Cristina, I am 29 years old and from Texas! I love my bunnies, books and blogging about my favorite things!
My favorite scarf in the whole wide world! :) photo 10363858_10152526761926237_5252620513132971013_n.jpg

Cristina

Founder of the website