latest comments

Shatter Me

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Relase Date: November 15, 2011
Publisher: Harper Colllins
Age Group: YA

Pages: 352
Format: Paperback - ARC
Source: Own
Intrest: Young Adult
Challenge: 2011 Reading Challenge, Debut Author Challenge
Buy the Book: Amazon




"You can't touch me," I whisper.
I'm lying, is what I don't tell him.
He can touch me, is what I'll never tell him.
But things happen when people touch me.
Strange things.
Bad things.
No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon.
But Juliette has plans of her own.





When I started reading Shatter Me it had very high standards to live up to! I had read so many glowing reviews on this book, from fellow blogging friends to my own mother! Unfortunately for me, this book didn't live up to all the hype!

Shatter Me is a dystopian, although its unclear when it takes place or where for that matter.  It is about a girl named Juliette, who has what some people think is an ability, but she feels is a curse. Anyone she touches, winds up dead, or seriously injured! ( all depending on how long they are touched) Also, she can break through concrete walls with her firsts, which I thought was pretty awesome! Anyways, the book starts off with Juliette in an asylum of sorts. She's been locked away there to protect people from her. One day she is given a cellmate, name Adam who she is instantly attracted to. She teaches Adam the ropes and how to survive. One day armed men come to her cell and whisk her and Adam away to the Restablishment. There she finds out that Adam is not at all who she thought he was. And that the Reestablishment have other plans for her! They are planning to use her as a weapon of sorts ( think, weapons of mass destruction!) but little do they know that not everyone is affected by Juliette's touch! Soon Juliette and Adam are fighting for their lives! Unsure of who to trust, where to run, what is the truth and what is a conspiracy, and are there more people out there like Juliette? Can that even be possible? Well...you'll have to read the book if you want to find out! I don't want to give too much away!

Before I tell you what I did and didn't like about this book I will say that I recieved my ARC back in April, at that time it had a plain white cover as no cover had been chosen yet. Most of the ARCs of Shatter Me I've seen have the cover that you will see when the book is released. So that being said, my copy was such an early release of the book, quite a few things may have changed.

So starting with the cover, I LOVE the cover of the book! It looks exactly like what I would imagine Juliette to look like, long flowing brown hair, fierce looks that could kill without even her touch! What did bother me about this cover is what she is wearing, Juliette never wore anything like that in the book! She is always either in beat up clothes, mens clothes, fancy purple dresses, or purple jumpsuits. I know I know! Minor detail! I didn't care for the style of writing ( it annoyed me at times) , but again this  could change by the finished copy. I'm not sure why but I didn't particularly connect with Juliette's character, or Adam's either for that matter. I did find the plot intresting, and I liked that you jump right into the story from the first page!

For me this book didn't live up to all of the hype behind it. But since I had a very early copy, a lot of things could have changed by the finished copy. So I encourage you check this one out for yourself!

13 comments :

  1. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy this book as much as you thought you would! It's always disappointing when you think your gonna love a book and then it lets you down. I was afraid that was going to happen when I read this, because I just finished another book with a lot of hype behind it (The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer) and really didn't like it. But I actually just read Shatter Me yesterday and I absolutely loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know, im actually not a big fan of this cover, i just don't like the dress, but im sad to hear that you didn't enjoy it! i mean even your mother did. Im hoping we aren't alike here :P. This could be a problem with such early ARCs, that things change, but i don't think they would have changed that much, anyways im hoping to read it soon (along with the other 1000 books im hoping to read soon)

    great review!

    - juhina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I hope that I like it. I have been really looking forward to it and have it pre-ordered. I just finished a book that I had a hard time getting through, so I know how that is when you are excited about a book and then it lets you down. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww thank you ladies! I'm wanting to reread this one after it comes out. Fingers crossed it changed ! lol Altho my Mom LOVED it just the way it was! I wanted to like this book so badly, but I didn't! I honestly can't even put my finger on why exactly. *sigh*

    Amanda- Oh nooo!!! I bought that one and have it sitting on my shelf looking all pretty! I am now convinced there are books meant to be looked at, and those that are meant to be read! lol

    Juhina- I'm not sure how much it did change. The number of pages are the exact same. I saw a review on Amazon that like me didn't like the writting style. 19 of 27 ppl agreed, but only 8 agreed on a glowing review. *sad face* I'm dying for you to read it and get your opinion!

    Amy- It's the worst!!! I honestly didn't want to finish it but Mom kept saying it gets better half way through. And it really did! But just overall it was not my particular cup of tea! But it may be someone else's! You never know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's too bad you didn't enjoy this one. I was really looking forward to it. I hate it when the characters aren't relatable...it just ruins the book. However I think I will still check it out later. Maybe borrow it from the library?

    Fabulous review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I was dreading writing my review, mostly because I had envisioned myself raving about it. Yes, definately check it out for yourself tho! So many people loved it! Getting it from the library is exactly what I would suggest! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book! The writing was my absolute favorite part of the book. I guess we just interpret things differently. I don't think it's changed much, my friend got an early copy and read from it in a vlog and it seemed the same as my more recent ARC.
    I'm not really a fan of the cover, it doesn't really fit the story. I might like it more if it was for a different story though.
    Guess we can't all love the same books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahaha Everyone loved it but me! I feel so bad!!!! lol I tried!!!! I kept wanting to just move on but I stuck with it right to the end! I did like it much better durring the last half and I LOVED the ending! That was my favorite part! I will for sure be reading the second bk even thought I wasn't particularly in love with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review!
    I finished this recently! I loved everything about the book, especially the parts that Juliette crossed out, but I think what I liked most about the book was Adam and his honesty. Very refreshing
    I agree that the cover could be improved...

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cover was actually kinda okay. I mean, I'm just not that a big of a fan. The beginning did went kinda slow to me but I really did enjoyed it. The part she crossed out was really fun. But either way, nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review! I have yet to read this book, but it is in my pile of TBR and like you I am worried about how much I will enjoy it because of all the hype! I hope I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it a much as you thought you would. I've been DYING to read this book. Great review! Maybe the second book will be better for you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this book. but it's good to see both sides of it. Hopefully Unravel Me will be better for you :)

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

About me

  • This blog is a little bit of everything!
  • Hi! My name is Cristina, I am 29 years old and from Texas! I love my bunnies, books and blogging about my favorite things!
My favorite scarf in the whole wide world! :) photo 10363858_10152526761926237_5252620513132971013_n.jpg

Cristina

Founder of the website