latest comments

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Sunday, October 2, 2011


Hi Everyone!

Happy Sunday!!! I hope your all enjoying the last day of your weekend, and the beautiful weather outside!

I feel like a bad blogger for not updating in 4 days. Bad Crissy! Yes, I am scolding myself! lol It's been a very long, busy, yet amazing week! I was able to attend a book signing for Maureen Johnson at Blue Willow Book Shop. I adore the book store, and all its staff, and Maureen is amazing!!! I had a blast! I also attended the Austin Teen Book Festival on Saturday. Words cannot describe! I think I will have to do an entire post dedicated just to this. So with that being said, time for my review!

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Release Date:
June 07, 2011
Publisher:  Quirk Books
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 352
Format: Hardcover
Source: Bought
Intrest: Young Adult
Challenge: 2011 Reading Challenge
Buy the Book: Amazon



A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

As with most books I purchase, this one I picked up initially because I thought the cover looked great! When I began to read the dust cover, I immediately knew I had to have it! The story sounded incredibly haunting! A tale unlike any I had ever read before! And that is exactly what this book was!

I don't want to give away too much about the story. I will say it is definately one of my all time favorite books. If you haven't read it yet, you MUST! I have been telling absolutely everyone about this book! It's incredible! It has an amazing story, and I love the way the author Ransom Riggs, tells the story not just through words but also through the use of Vintage Photography. He places the photos throughout the book, in a way that they not only fit in with the book, but also bring the characters to life in such a way that they captivate you!

I wouldn't describe this book as supernatural, paranormal, or anything of that nature. It's really just, incredible story telling! It is about a 17 yr old boy named Jacob, who has grown up to stories his grandfather told him full of monsters and peculiar children. As a child Jacob believed these stories, but the older he got he just thought they were merely that, stories, told by an old man. With the mysterious and quite brutal death of his grandfather, Abe, Jacob soon realizes that there may be something to the tales his grandfather has been telling all these years. Jacob travels to Miss Peregrine's Home for answers. As he digs for answers to his unanswered questions, Jacob becomes entangled in a fascinating world that just may be more than he had bargained for. Full of vintage photography, a love triangle, family troubles, monsters, and peculiar children this is one tale you won't want to miss! If you don't believe me just watch the trailer. You'll be hooked!


3 comments :

  1. Yay! I plan to read this one really really soon! So I'm very happy to hear that you thought it was amazing! Maybe it'll be my next read after I finish the two I'm reading. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT??? You haven't read it yet? Girl it is AMAZING!!! Honestly, that book left me speechless! lol I am hoping that he makes a sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I haven't read it yet but I have it.

    The thing that made me buy it was that amazing book trailer. Totes creepy but it hooks. It's cool to see other people like the same things as myself. And you're right about the photos, they totally can captivate a person.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

About me

  • This blog is a little bit of everything!
  • Hi! My name is Cristina, I am 29 years old and from Texas! I love my bunnies, books and blogging about my favorite things!
My favorite scarf in the whole wide world! :) photo 10363858_10152526761926237_5252620513132971013_n.jpg

Cristina

Founder of the website