latest comments

Eve

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Eve by Anna Carey
Release Date: October 04, 2011
Publisher: Harper Collins
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 336
Format: ARC
Source: borrowed
Intrest: Cover Whore
Challenge: Debut Author Challenge and 2011 Reading Challenge
Buy the Book: Amazon



Where do you go when nowhere is safe?

Sixteen years after a deadly virus wiped out most of Earth’s population, the world is a perilous place. Eighteen-year-old Eve has never been beyond the heavily guarded perimeter of her school, where she and two hundred other orphaned girls have been promised a future as the teachers and artists of the New America. But the night before graduation, Eve learns the shocking truth about her school’s real purpose—and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Arden, her former rival from school, and Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust . . . and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.

In this epic new series, Anna Carey imagines a future that is both beautiful and terrifying. Readers will revel in Eve’s timeless story of forbidden love and extraordinary adventure.



I was really excited about reading this book. The cover is beautiful and the story sounded intriguing. Unfortunately, I have a sort of bittersweet love/hate relationship with Eve.

Typically I usually love the main charachter of any book. I wish I could say that with Eve, but I can't. I didn't hate her, but there was just nothing there that drew me to her and made her more personable and endearing. There were several charachters in this book that I did love, but for me Eve wasn't one of them. Which is sad, because this story is mostly about her!

This book is set in the future, which I love! And I have to admit, I can totally see the things that happen in this book, happening at some point in the future. But I did have a problem with the time period. The book is set about 5 to 8 years into the future, although they never really state when, you just have to do the math and figure it out yourself! While I can definately see something like that happening in the future, I honestly don't feel like it would be happening so near in the future. I think it would've been more believeable if it was set a little further into the future. At least for me, anyways.

It's a really fast paced read, which I enjoyed. It's definately the type of book that you can read and finish in one day! Anna Carey did not waste time keeping the story moving, or on long needless descriptions. It's refrshing  to pick up a book that you can read quickly, without having to spend a lot of time trying to keep the story straight or figure out what's going on.

I have to say, the ending was a huge disappointment for me, and really knocked this book from a must have it, to an I can live without owning it. Eve spent probably 200 pages trying to reach a safe place where she and Caleb, the boy she loves can live and be safe, together. Unfortunately, there is not happy ending for these two, and it made the 200 pages before it a bit pointless for me. This is the first in the triology, and I will for sure be reading the next one when it comes out. I would like to see what happens with Eve, but mostly with some of the other charachters in the book.

This was not at all a bad book, just not quite the epic read it promised to be.

10 comments :

  1. oh man! i REALLY was looking forward to it. I would HATE reading a book where i dont like the main lead. I like the synopsis and story so i will check it out. Hoping the ending isnt as disappointing to me as it is to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definately worth reading don't get me wrong. I was just really disappointed with it. The ending totally knocked it down to a 3.5 to possibly 4 star down from a 5. I am totally gonna read the second though. Give Eve another try, plus I want to see what happens with some of the other characters! :) But yes...the ending. *sighs* All I will say about that is I was in the car reading while someone else was driving and i literally went "NOOOOOOoooooo!!!!" and I frightened the driver. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha hilarious. That always happens. I gasp or scream while reading a book and startle the people with me. I will give this book a chance just because of how pretty the cover is! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should! The cover deserves it! And when you finish, you can email me with your own "NOOOooooo" haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you misunderstood something because this is further in the future then you thought. I just participated in a livestream chat with the author and I think it's like 80 years in the future. I can't remember for sure, but it's awhile.

    I liked Eve even though she was a bit naive and some thought she changed kind of abruptly, but I was okay with that. It was just the ending that was a bit frustrating. I still really liked this book though.
    At least you liked it, even if you didn't love it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh i definately liked it! I just thought I'd fall in love with it like I did with the cover. I was GREAT until the ending. haha Then I just got annoyed lol

    Yeah its confusing because they never give an exact date. In the begining there's a letter or something from Eve's mother dated 2015 I think. Or somewhere around there. From when her mom sends her away. And then it jumps to when she's in school and fixing to grauate. I'm assuiming the typical 17 to 18 yrs old. And she was around 5 or so when she was sent away.So I was thinking it was about 10 to 15 yrs in the future. Maybe in the second one she will clarify the time period a little more. It's much easier to imagine when you have a date in mind, even thought I have no clue what life at the time will be like. LOL

    My fave characters were Arden, and the lil boy who wore tutu's. hahaha I didn't dislike Eve, I just wasn't drawn to her like the other characters. But I still will be reading teh second one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so mad about the ending, I know I knocked a star off my review because of it. I don't usually require a "happily ever after" ending but this one was left so up in the air... I'll probably still read the next one in the series though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna- I felt the EXACT same way! It went from being a 4 star I HAVE TO HAVE THIS book to a 3 star I can live without buying it. ALl because of that darn ending! I loved it up until the last 15 pages! Why did Ana have to do that?? WHY??? I dont need a happily ever after either, but come on! That ending just made the entire 200 pages before it completely irrelivent! But I will still be readig the next installment in the trilogy! lol Gotta see what happens next! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What?! Really? I've been looking forward to reading it. Now I don't know if I want to read it anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww. You should give it a try anyways. I read an author interview yesterday and Anna said the book is being made into a television series! So may want to read it and get a heads up ;) It's honestly a really good book. It's just the darn ending that ruined it all for me! lol

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

About me

  • This blog is a little bit of everything!
  • Hi! My name is Cristina, I am 29 years old and from Texas! I love my bunnies, books and blogging about my favorite things!
My favorite scarf in the whole wide world! :) photo 10363858_10152526761926237_5252620513132971013_n.jpg

Cristina

Founder of the website