latest comments

Review: Waiting

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Waiting by Carol Lynch Williams
Release Date: May 1, 2013
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Pages: 352
Buy The Book: Amazon


Waiting
After her brother’s death, a teen struggles to rediscover love and find redemption in this gripping novel.


Growing up in Africa and Latin America as the children of missionaries, London and Zach were as close as could be. And then Zach dies, and the family is gutted. London’s father is distant. Her mother won’t speak. The days are filled with what-ifs and whispers: Did Zach take his own life? Was it London’s fault?

Alone and adrift, London finds herself torn between her brother’s best friend and the handsome new boy in town as she struggles to find herself—and ultimately redemption—in this authentic and affecting novel from award-winning novelist Carol Lynch Williams.



Waiting is a book i have been anxiously "waiting" to read. Pun in intended! HA! Anyways...I was so thrilled to finally make time for this book. I believe it's told in verse, although don't quote me on that! This is one of those books that has a message to it, which I love.

The story felt so real, and I really felt for the main character London. Her story was utterly heart breaking and haunting. Her brother has commited suicide and her family life is thrown into chaos. Her dad stays out late, her Mom sleeps all day and ignores her. London blames herself, and I just wanted to hug her and tell her it is NOT her fault! I wanted to tell her Dad that he needs to hug his little girl and talk to her. I wanted to tell her Mom, "Shame on you for being a bad mother!" *sighs* London desperately misses her brother, and the family that they were BEFORE her brother took his life.

I can only imagine how devestating this could be to a family. I think it would be impossible to not blame yourself or have millions upon millions of "what if" questions. Each member of the family is going through grief and depression in their own way. London is fortunate to have a really great friend, who is trying so hard to keep her afloat. She also meets a new family at school who really help her to see that she may not have the family she was used to, but she still is a part of a loving family of close knit friends! And of course there is a love triangle going on!

This book takes you on the ups and downs of loosing a loved one. The grieving process, and how it changes your life and those of others around you. I loved the message of the story and really enjoyed it even though it was a bit of a darker read.

2 comments :

  1. I had this in my hand at the library and then realized it was in verse and put it back. But glad you loved it -- I really liked the premise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really great. I have only just recently read a book in verse. Well, actually listened to it, so it I didn't know where the poems began and ended. It sounds like a great story, but I don't know that I would pick it up since I am not into reading that style of writing very much.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

About me

  • This blog is a little bit of everything!
  • Hi! My name is Cristina, I am 29 years old and from Texas! I love my bunnies, books and blogging about my favorite things!
My favorite scarf in the whole wide world! :) photo 10363858_10152526761926237_5252620513132971013_n.jpg

Cristina

Founder of the website