latest comments

Review: Monument 14

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne
Release Date:
June 5, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Pages: 294
Buy The Book: Amazon


Monument 14 (Monument 14 #1)Your mother hollers that you’re going to miss the bus. She can see it coming down the street. You don’t stop and hug her and tell her you love her. You don’t thank her for being a good, kind, patient mother. Of course not—you launch yourself down the stairs and make a run for the corner.Only, if it’s the last time you’ll ever see your mother, you sort of start to wish you’d stopped and did those things. Maybe even missed the bus.But the bus was barreling down our street, so I ran.Fourteen kids. One superstore. A million things that go wrong.

In Emmy Laybourne’s action-packed debut novel, six high school kids (some popular, some not), two eighth graders (one a tech genius), and six little kids trapped together in a chain superstore build a refuge for themselves inside. While outside, a series of escalating disasters, beginning with a monster hailstorm and ending with a chemical weapons spill, seems to be tearing the world—as they know it—apart.


---------------------

Holy bunny lips Batman! Monument 14 was one amazingly thrilling ride! I wasn't expecting to love this book so much but I totally did! It was full of action that kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I'm becoming quite the fan of action/survival/sci-fi books and this just added fuel to the fire. I can't get enough!

This well done dsystopian is set not so far into the future, where chemical and natural disaster's force a misfit group of teens to seek shelter in a superstore. While it sounds like the perfect set up, they faced obsticles and road blocks throuhgout the story which kept my mind reeling for possibilties of survival. I raced through this book at alarming speeds, needing to know what would happen.The story line was brilliantly well done!

There is a whole slew of characters in this book. Some you like, others you don't, but I guess that's the point. From the meat head football jock, the popular teen queen, the nerd, to the religous nut. The chorus of character's each with a distinct personality really made this book sing to me. I felt like I was right there in the book, and at times wanted to muzzle a kid or two.

This book had my heart pounding and my eyes racing to the finish line! It was a mega success in my book and I for one can't wait for the sequel!

---------------

Have you read this book? I'd love to know your thoughts so don't forget to leave a comment below!
 

2 comments :

  1. I enjoyed this book. I didn't love it, but I liked it enough to be super excited for the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it! If you had to be stuck somewhere while the world is ending, can't imagine a better place than a Walmart super store, Sam's or Costco!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

About me

  • This blog is a little bit of everything!
  • Hi! My name is Cristina, I am 29 years old and from Texas! I love my bunnies, books and blogging about my favorite things!
My favorite scarf in the whole wide world! :) photo 10363858_10152526761926237_5252620513132971013_n.jpg

Cristina

Founder of the website