latest comments

Review: Between the Lines

Monday, January 14, 2013

Between the Lines by Jodi Piccoult and Samantha Van Leer
Release Date:
June 26, 2012
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 358
Buy The Book: Amazon


Between the Lines


Delilah is a bit of a loner who prefers spending her time in the school library with her head in a book—one book in particular. Between the Lines may be a fairy tale, but it feels real. Prince Oliver is brave, adventurous, and loving. He really speaks to Delilah.

And then one day Oliver actually speaks to her. Turns out, Oliver is more than a one-dimensional storybook prince. He’s a restless teen who feels trapped by his literary existence and hates that his entire life is predetermined. He’s sure there’s more for him out there in the real world, and Delilah might just be his key to freedom.

Delilah and Oliver work together to attempt to get Oliver out of his book, a challenging task that forces them to examine their perceptions of fate, the world, and their places in it. And as their attraction to each other grows along the way, a romance blossoms that is anything but a fairy tale.

 Between the Lines was one of my most excited about books for 2012! I mean, it's Jodi freaking Picoult! Need I say more? Then to sweeten the deal, it's a fairy tale story with a present day twist . To say I squealed with delight would be an understatement. I was euphoric!

After much time admiring this pretty on my shelf, I decided to dig in. While this wasn't an all time favorite for me there were things I really did enjoy about this book. I loved the fairy tale elements and that it does have a modern day twist. 2012 was the year of re-tellings, and while I love them whole heartedly, it got to be a bit mundane. I loved that this story took place inside an actual book, a fairy tale book at that!

For me, this book started out well and then just got really, really slow. I felt like some of the scenarios were played out over and over, just with a different outcome. Towards the last of the book, I really got invested in the storyline and I couldn't wait to find out what happened on the next page. But why, oh why, couldn't you have gotten me this invested from the begining? le sigh!

All in all it was an enjoyable easy read. I loved the colorful illustrations throughout the book, much like you'd find in an old fashioned book of fairy tales. This wasn't one of my favorites for the year, but it was a cute read!



Have you read Between the Lines, or are you planning to? I'd love to know what you thought about it so don't forget to leave a comment!

5 comments :

  1. Great review! I had really wanted to read this book, but there were so many reviews that were just pretty neutral about the book that I don't want to spend time reading it when there are so many other books that sound fantastic waiting to be read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Amy! I always have to pick wisely. I have a signed copy so I finally decided to make time for it. It was cute just...not what I was hoping for. Or in the mood for. =/

      Delete
  2. Nice review!

    I read this a few months ago. It's not one of my favorites in terms of the storyline, (I agree some points were a little repetitive) but I do like the little touches, like different font colors and things like that. My review should be up in the next month or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I LOVED that about the book! The font colors, and illustrations were just really cute. This book was okay but I think it would have been better marketed towards a MG audience.

      Delete
  3. I love Jodi Picoult's adult books, but this sounded a little young for me, so I passed on it.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

About me

  • This blog is a little bit of everything!
  • Hi! My name is Cristina, I am 29 years old and from Texas! I love my bunnies, books and blogging about my favorite things!
My favorite scarf in the whole wide world! :) photo 10363858_10152526761926237_5252620513132971013_n.jpg

Cristina

Founder of the website