latest comments

Review: Nevermore

Thursday, July 12, 2012


Nevermore (Nevermore #1) by Kelly Creagh
Release Date: August 31, 2010
Publisher: Atheneum 
Pages: 543
Buy The Book: Amazon


Nevermore (Nevermore, #1)
Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.
 

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.
 

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.
 

His life depends on it.

Call me creepy, but I am an Edgar Allan Poe fan! So naturally, this book has always appealed to me. I'd been putting off reading it for quite a while but I am so glad I finally picked it up!

The story for me was amazing and totally confusing all at the same time! But yet, I still loved it! Isobel is the main character, and she seems to have it all. She's a popular cheerleader who is dating the star quarterback on the football team. She is the IT girl at the school. But her life suddenly changes when she is partnered with Varen for an English project, and her life will never be the same!

Isobel's world is torn upside down. She falls from her queen bee thrown, breaks up with her boyfriend, and is suddenly the most unpopular girl at school. She's drawn deeper into Varen's dream world of Poe that may be much more than just a dream!

I loved the Edgar Allan Poe elements to the story. It is so rich and full of this it totally made the story! I have to say, I was confused for most of the book. I had a hard time deciphering what was real, and what were "dream world" sequences. In the end, I really couldn't tell and I was just as confused in the beginning. At times it drove me nuts, and other times I was saying "whoa, this is totally brilliant!" . Despite that, I still really enjoyed this book and at the end I wanted the next book in the series and pronto!

The book itself is massive! Seriously...its HUGE! I honestly really dislike books this big, and there were times when I wanted to just give up reading it for that reason. For me, the book REALLY got going about 300 pages in and I couldn't put it down. I wish it had been edited better and a good 150 to 200 pages cut out. And then, I was just confused most of the time, wondering what was a dream from Varen's book, or what was actually real. Despite that though, I decided I really enjoyed this book. It was haunting and amazing, and a book I won't soon forget!

7 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops -- for some reason I thought this was a review of book two, so never mind what I said. I am eagerly anticipating that one, which comes out soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I actually read that one a few weeks ago. It IS less confusing than the first, but...still confusing!!! haha Just not as much. But now I REALLY want book 3. GAH!!!

      Delete
  3. Great review!! I have been wanting to read this one too and for some reason I haven't. I probably won't anytime soon since it's such a huge book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book had been sitting on my shelf for over a year! HOnestly the length of it is what really kept me from reading it for such a long time. Halfway through I really loved it tho!

      Delete
  4. I have this book to read too but I been putting it off too.I might pick it up sometime later in the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I think we all have been putting it on the back burner. I blame it on the massive size of the book. It's very intimidating LOL

      Delete

Total Pageviews

About me

  • This blog is a little bit of everything!
  • Hi! My name is Cristina, I am 29 years old and from Texas! I love my bunnies, books and blogging about my favorite things!
My favorite scarf in the whole wide world! :) photo 10363858_10152526761926237_5252620513132971013_n.jpg

Cristina

Founder of the website