latest comments

Review: Tarnish

Monday, July 29, 2013

Review: Tarnish by Katherine Longshore

Release Date: June 18, 2013
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Source: ARC from publisher
Format: eARC
Pages: 448
Amazon  |  Goodreads

Tarnish
Anne Boleyn is the odd girl out. Newly arrived to the court of King Henry VIII, everything about her seems wrong, from her clothes to her manners to her witty but sharp tongue. So when the dashing poet Thomas Wyatt offers to coach her on how to shine at court—and to convince the whole court they’re lovers—she accepts. Before long, Anne’s popularity has soared, and even the charismatic and irresistible king takes notice. More than popularity, Anne wants a voice—but she also wants love. What began as a game becomes high stakes as Anne finds herself forced to make an impossible choice between her heart’s desire and the chance to make history.



I am a HUGE fan of historical fiction, and I'm always looking for a new book to devour in this genre. I have to be honest, and admit I was super hesitant when I picked up Tarnish by Katherine Longshore. I read the first book in this young adult series, Gilt, ready to fall in love and was very disappointed. Many, many people loved and adored Gilt, unfortunately I was not one of them. For some reason, maybe I was just in the mood for historical fiction, I picked up Tarnish. I am so glad I gave this book a shot because it was rock my socks incredible!!!

I think my dislike for Gilt had absolutely nothing to do with the author or her writing, but simply amounted to the fact that I apparently dislike Kitty aka Catherine Howard. Thankfully for me, Tarnish is all about the young Anne Boleyn as she arrives at the royal court. Everything about her from her clothes, her speech, and her looks stands out like a sore thumb, ( and not in a good way!) when all she wants to do is have these people like her.

I adored how the author wrote this story, and the characters, it was absolutely phenomenal! I could not put this down and read it like a desperate fiend! The writing and plot was clever and witty. Everything I look for in a historical fiction tale. The characters were rich and full of their own individual character and charm. Anne is the girl you love to hate. You admire her strong will and determination, and her penchant for speaking her mind, but hate her for just that! Her inability to bite her tongue, which you fear will get her in trouble in a big way. Then there is the clever poet, Thomas Wyatt, who my heart ached for, and the King himself!

This was a brilliantly written piece of young adult historical fiction, with all the classic elements that will hook you to your very core! I fell in love with Tarnish and am looking forward to more incredible books by Katherine Longshore!

2 comments :

  1. I have got to read this! I love The Tudors! Aaahhhhhh! I love historical fiction in general! Have you watch The White Queen? It's on Starz now, but it was originally on BBC. Not about The Tudors, but sooooooo good! :)

    Liza @ Book Crook Liza

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this book, and seeing Michelle mention so many of my favorite books/authors has me convinced I will love hers

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

About me

  • This blog is a little bit of everything!
  • Hi! My name is Cristina, I am 29 years old and from Texas! I love my bunnies, books and blogging about my favorite things!
My favorite scarf in the whole wide world! :) photo 10363858_10152526761926237_5252620513132971013_n.jpg

Cristina

Founder of the website