latest comments

The Catastrophic History Of You and Me

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Catastrophic History Of  You and Me by Jess Rothenberg
Release Date: February 21,2012
Publisher:  Dial
Age Group: YA
Pages: 400
Format: ARC
Source: Own
Interest: YA, Debut Author
Challenge:  2012 Reading Challenge, 2012 Debut Author Challenge
Buy the Book: Amazon



The Catastrophic History of You and Me
 
BRIE'S LIFE ENDS AT SIXTEEN: Her boyfriend tells her he doesn't love her, and the news breaks her heart—literally.

But now that she's D&G (dead and gone), Brie is about to discover that love is way more complicated than she ever imagined. Back in Half Moon Bay, her family has begun to unravel. Her best friend has been keeping a secret about Jacob, the boy she loved and lost—and the truth behind his shattering betrayal. And then there's Patrick, Brie's mysterious new guide and resident Lost Soul . . . who just might hold the key to her forever after.

With Patrick's help, Brie will have to pass through the five stages of grief before she's ready to move on. But how do you begin again, when your heart is still in pieces?


The Catastrophic History of You and Me is the story of Brie ( not the cheese!) who dies of a broken heart. Literally! Brie's boyfriend tell's her over dinner, that he doesn't love her anymore. In that moment, her heart, breaks. Literally severs in half! Brie struggles with the effects her death has had on her family, her friends, and even herself. She will learn more about herself, and everyone she loved then she ever knew, as she comes to terms with what happened to her.

I loved this book from the very first page. The chapter titles were so cute, and incredible! I loved the sarcastic, witty writing and the banter between the character's. I knew from the very first paragraph that this was going to be insata-love!

The story was amazing and captured so many emotions and issues. I loved Brie's family dynamic, her close relationship with her brother, and that crazy goofball dog Hamloaf! I loved her friends B.E.S.T ( Brie, Emma, Sadie, Tess) who reminded me of my own group of close knit friends growing up. Jacob, who seemed like the perfect boyfriend, up until the very second where he broke her heart.

I felt like the author sucked me into a beautiful, fun, and witty world that I never wanted to leave. I laughed out loud, and cried, smiled, and sang along ridiculously to 80's classics. I loved how the story wasn't just a typical contemporary, it had so much depth and raw emotion that truly set it apart.

After Brie's death she discovers so much more about her friends and even her own family that she never knew.  My heart broke right along with Brie's when Patrick, the love of her life, told her he didn't love her anymore. When she discover's that her father is having an affair, I literally screamed Noooo and then wept. I felt as helpless as Brie did, an outsider looking in, not able to do a thing. I wanted to hug her mother and warn her, I wanted to yell at her father. I wanted to hug the whole family and keep them from falling apart.

This book was everything I wanted it to be. It was laugh out loud funny. It sucked me in and I fell in love with the character's instantly. It touched on so many real issues that brought such strong and raw emotions. It had me laughing, crying and thinking about it long after it was over. I think Lauren Oliver summed it up perfectly when she said "Gorgeous, funny, and heartbreaking".


12 comments :

  1. Yay! We talked about it on Twitter and I just got the book today! Can't wait to get on with it=D Great review!

    Fara @ Tumbling In Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!!! I can't wait to see what you think. I think you'll love it! My only complaint was that it was on the long side, 400 pages!!! I wish it had been shorter, and the story kinda dragged toward the end for me. If it weren't for that it would have been a 5 star. Still completely amazing!!!

      Delete
  2. Great review hon! I really need to get this book. It sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of got turned off when I saw "insta-love" but everything you described made it sound really good. And it has been catching my eye everywhere. And I recently read one of Lauren Oliver's books, my first ever, and I have faith in her. So I think I may still pick it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha Don't be turned off. I was in insta-love with the BOOK! lol I could just tell right from the get go that I was gonna love, and I did! There is no insta love in the story though, so make sure you give it a try. It was really good! :)

      Delete
  4. OHHHH! You know, this has been happening to me all week, where I read things wrong. I blame it on being sick! And I will try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh nooo!!! I'm sorry your still sick. *hugs* I hope you feel better soon!

      Delete
  5. Thank you! I have antibiotics now so that should do SOMEthing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard so many great things about this book! I love the cover, and it sounds like a cute read that also has emotional depth.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hamloaf is quite the name for a dog! I really, really want to read this one. I've heard so many amazing things. It looks both cute and serious and of course a combo of sad and funny :]

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

About me

  • This blog is a little bit of everything!
  • Hi! My name is Cristina, I am 29 years old and from Texas! I love my bunnies, books and blogging about my favorite things!
My favorite scarf in the whole wide world! :) photo 10363858_10152526761926237_5252620513132971013_n.jpg

Cristina

Founder of the website