latest comments

Wintergirls

Friday, November 25, 2011


“Dead girl walking,” the boys say in the halls.
“Tell us your secret,” the girls whisper, one toilet to another.I am that girl.I am the space between my thighs, daylight shining through.I am the bones they want, wired on a porcelain frame.

Lia and Cassie are best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies, competitors in a deadly contest to see who can be the skinniest. But what comes after size zero and size double-zero? When Cassie succumbs to the demons within, Lia feels she is being haunted by her friend’s restless spirit.

In her most emotionally wrenching, lyrically written book since the multiple-award-winning Speak, Laurie Halse Anderson explores Lia’s descent into the powerful vortex of anorexia, and her painful path toward recovery.

Many years ago I was watching a movie on lifetime ( yes, I am a lifetime movie addict!) called Speak with a very young Kristen Stewart. For some reason that movie haunted me, but in an incredible way! I quickly picked up the book and devoured it just as quickly and ferociously as I did the movie. I was completely mesmerized by Laurie Halse Anderson's writtng and have been ever since then!

Wintergirls has been on my TBR list for quite some time and I am so glad I finally made the time to read it. In a writing style all Laurie's she totally captivates you with the story and takes you into the struggles of teen girls with eating disorders.

Growing up I knew so many young girls with this horrible self image problem. In a society so hung up on image, I think this is an issue that has only gotten worse with time! Unfortunately with very serious and deadly consequences.

I loved how Laurie tackled this very serious issue, in a way that no one else can! She really gets inside the heads of any young girl with a body image issue in such a way that is bone chilling! With so many girls and women suffering from these problems, I am so glad someone wrote a very honest and gritty look into eating disorders, and their deadly consequences! A definate must read!

Yet another amazing book by Laurie Halse Anderson! In my book she can do no wrong. This is a definately must read, especially if you know anyone who is battling with an eating disorder. You won't regret picking this book up!

8 comments :

  1. Agree --reading Wintergirls is an intense experience. I couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha You and I have like the same exact taste in books! lol It was intense and incredible all at the same time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds amazing! Great review...I'm not a lifetime fan. They make me a Debbie-Downer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a great book. Wonderful review. I am just now getting into contemporary and am looking for some good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MIndy- Really? I LOVE lifetime! lol Lots of drama! haha

    Amy- I love contemporary. I think it was my first love! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh i love watching life time movies too!! Anyways, i havent read this one, but i have read SPEAK and what a great novel. Thanks for the review =]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this on hold at the library, it looks so amazing! Great review. :) I'll have to see that movie, I loved Speak too. You should try some of Laurie Halse Anderson's historical fiction books too, they actually made me interested in history! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to hear good things about this one. I've yet to read a Laurie Halse Anderson book, but I've been meaning too. I especially want to read this one since I've always been kind of fascinated by eating disorders (but not in a creepy way, promise). It's good to hear Anderson handles the issue well.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

About me

  • This blog is a little bit of everything!
  • Hi! My name is Cristina, I am 29 years old and from Texas! I love my bunnies, books and blogging about my favorite things!
My favorite scarf in the whole wide world! :) photo 10363858_10152526761926237_5252620513132971013_n.jpg

Cristina

Founder of the website