latest comments

New Girl

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

New Girl by Paige Harbison
Release Date: January 31 ,2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 304
Format: egalley
Source: NetGalley
Intrest: Young Adult
Challenge: 2012 Reading Challenge 2012 Debut Author Challenge
Buy the Book: Amazon


New Girl
Welcome to Manderley Academy

I hadn't wanted to go, but my parents were so excited…. So here I am, the new girl at Manderley, a true fish out of water. But mine's not the name on everyone's lips. Oh, no.

It's Becca Normandy they can't stop talking about. Perfect, beautiful Becca. She went missing at the end of last year, leaving a spot open at Manderley—the spot that I got. And everyone acts like it's my fault that infallible, beloved Becca is gone and has been replaced by not perfect, completely fallible, unknown Me.

Then, there's the name on my lips—Max Holloway. Becca's ex. The one boy I should avoid, but can't. Thing is, it seems like he wants me, too. But the memory of Becca is always between us. And as much as I'm starting to like it at Manderley, I can't help but think she's out there, somewhere, watching me take her place.

Waiting to take it back.

When I read a review of this by a fellow blogger friend of mine  I was immediately excited about it! I am a HUGE fan of the classic Rebecca, the book, the movie, I love them all! This story has always captivated me, and I really can't explain why. I'm drawn like a moth to the flame! So when I found out this was a retelling of the classic Rebecca I couldn't wait to start reading it.

I won't waste your time telling you a lot about the plot of this book. Many of you I'm sure have already read the classic, Rebecca, so you get it! For those of you who haven't read it, here's a short recap of New Girl.

New Girl is the story of a young girl who has always dreamed of getting into the prestigous Manderly Academy, and has finally been accepted when a slot unexpectedly opens up. Once she arrives at Manderly she struggles to fit in with the other students. There is her roomate, the deeply troubled Dana Veers ( Mrs. Danvers anyone? ) the wickedly handsom Max, and his best friend Johnny who is a bit of a bad boy but devestatingly handsome. Once she get's to Manderly, New Girl ( yes that is her name the entire book ) realizes she was only accepted because the queen bee of Manderly herself, Becca ( Rebbeca!) has gone missing for several months. New Girl, who even resembles Becca, is living in Becca's constant shadow. From rooming with Becca's roomate, dating her boyfriend, and having all the same friends, she is constantly being compared to the all too perfect Becca. Will the infamous Becca return to Manderly to and reclaim her queen bee status, or will the mystery and rumours surrounding her disappearance pull her and Max apart and sever ties with her fellow schoolmates? And what really did happen to Becca? Well you will have to read New Girl to find out!

I absolutely adored this book and couldn't put it down. The author did a really great job bringing the classic tale of Rebecca into the modern world. The character's were true to the original with a modern twist. Max is still the handsome gentleman that he always was, Johnny is still the good looking resident bad boy, Becca is still the quentissential mean girl (who I hated just as much as the original!) , Dana Veer's aka Mrs. Danvers is still Becca's somewhat obsessed and mentally unstable bestie who freaked me out just as much as she did in the classic! While "New Girl" who is also nameless in the original, continues to remain shy, quiet, and as always nameless, that is until the last few pages of the book.

My only complaint is that I would only recommend this book to older teens as there is "partying" going on with underage drinking, and the f word is used quite a few times.

All in all I can't express how much I loved this book! It was full of mean girls, friendships, bad boy cuties, mystery, forbidden love, and lots drama! So make sure you go check this book out when it hits stores at the end of the month, especially if your a Rebecca fan like me!


8 comments :

  1. Wait, what? This is a classic remake? It's a movie too? I had no idea. I just started reading this and it's a completely new story to me. How come I haven't heard of this before?

    Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! You hadn't ever heard of Rebbeca??? You MUST read it! It is an unputdownable classic that is stunning! The classic black and white film is one of my all time faves as well! It stars Laurence Olivier and the beautiful Joan Fontaine. Make sure you watch the movie if nothing else, you will LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen- I LOVED it! We will have to have a chat about it later ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope! Not at all, so I am so glad I saw your review! I'm adding the book AND movie to my list to check for at the library. Then once I get to them, I'll let you know! Thanks, Cristina!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your welcome! Can't. Wait to see what. You think. I think I'm gonna have to pop in the movie tonight! Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. i also LOVED THIS BOOK! I was so addicted that I couldn't stop reading it even though i had exams! I am writing up my review for tomorrow :P. Also 5 stars for me!! :D

    - juhina

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you liked this book this much!! I actually never heard of Rebecca until I read this and someone in their review said New Girl was a retelling. The day after I get my English 4 book reading list and Rebecca is not. so weird!! I also enjoyed this one but my main problemo was Max. Him & romance weren't really developed & to me that ruins everything//:

    Otherwise I liked the mystery & how mature the book is!! I have outgrown younger YA and hey, stuff that happens in this book (the partying etc.) DEFINITELY happens in real life. I would know;D

    Racquel @ The Book Barbies♥
    -thank you&come again.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

About me

  • This blog is a little bit of everything!
  • Hi! My name is Cristina, I am 29 years old and from Texas! I love my bunnies, books and blogging about my favorite things!
My favorite scarf in the whole wide world! :) photo 10363858_10152526761926237_5252620513132971013_n.jpg

Cristina

Founder of the website