latest comments

Review: The Girl In The Park

Monday, April 16, 2012

The Girl In The Park by Mariah Fredericks
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 224
Format: ARC
Source: Southern Book Bloggers ARC Tours
Interest: YA Mystery
Challenge: 2012 Goodreads Reading Challenge
Buy the Book: Amazon



The Girl in the Park



When Wendy Geller's body is found in Central Park after the night of a rager, newspaper headlines scream,"Death in the Park: Party Girl Found Strangled." But shy Rain, once Wendy's best friend, knows there was more to Wendy than just "party girl." As she struggles to separate the friend she knew from the tangle of gossip and headlines, Rain becomes determined to discover the truth about the murder. Written in a voice at once immediate, riveting, and utterly convincing, Mariah Frederick's mystery brilliantly exposes the cracks in this exclusive New York City world and the teenagers that move within it.






I first read Mariah's work in 2007 when I read Crunch Time and was completely taken with her ability to weave amazing stories. Mariah is definitely back at it again with The Girl In The Park!

I've always said, there are never enough good old fashioned mystery's in YA. Many of them spiral off into the paranormal and sometimes just plain weird. The Girl In The Park was the perfect dose of mystery and suspense and I had a hard time putting it down!

I loved the main character, Rain and her conviction to defend Wendy and bring her killer to justice. Wendy may not have been the best role model, but she was above all things, honest, loyal and a true friend. I loved how Rain stood up for Wendy, and did everything in her power to find out what happened, even if that meant putting herself in harm's way.

I enjoyed the gritty portrayl of how a brutal killing affects the lives of everyone. From family and friends, to teachers and class mates, rocking everyone to their core. Even more than that, I enjoyed the harsh reality of the media and what lengths they will go to, to get their next story.

I loved the pacing of the story and constantly found myself wanting to skip ahead to find what happens next. This was a great mystery that had me guessing and  gasping the whole way through! This was a wonderfully paced, and simple yet elegantly written mystery that I was totally engrossed in. I look forward to being captivated by Mariah's cleverly woven story telling yet again!

4 comments :

  1. I really enjoyed this one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd like it! WHen I read it I was like Jen HAS to read this one! haha

      Delete
  2. This sounds really good. I love mysteries! This will be a book I will have to check out for sure! Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! I am really excited that there are more murder mystery books out there in YA right now. So far out of all the ones I've read this year, this one is my fave!

      Delete

Total Pageviews

About me

  • This blog is a little bit of everything!
  • Hi! My name is Cristina, I am 29 years old and from Texas! I love my bunnies, books and blogging about my favorite things!
My favorite scarf in the whole wide world! :) photo 10363858_10152526761926237_5252620513132971013_n.jpg

Cristina

Founder of the website