latest comments

Review: Lies Beneath

Tuesday, June 5, 2012


Lies Beneath (Lies Beneath #1) by Anne Greenwood Brown
Release Date: June 12, 2012
Publisher: Delacourt Books for Young Readers
Pages: 303
Buy The Book: Amazon

Lies Beneath (Lies Beneath #1)Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans, killing them to absorb their energy. But this summer the underwater clan targets Jason Hancock out of pure revenge. They blame Hancock for their mother's death and have been waiting a long time for him to return to his family's homestead on the lake. Hancock has a fear of water, so to lure him in, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter, Lily. Easy enough—especially as Calder has lots of practice using his irresistable good looks and charm on ususpecting girls. Only this time Calder screws everything up: he falls for Lily—just as Lily starts to suspect that there's more to the monsters-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined. And just as his sisters are losing patience with him.

I have always been fascinated by mermaid tales. I blame this on Disney's the Little Mermaid which totally enchanted me. This is my first mermaid book, and I am completely hooked! Lies Beneath was unique, original and totally captivating!

I don't have a lot of mermaid books to compare this to, but it definitely wasn't what I was expecting. I guess I was expecting a more fun and light read ( again think Little Mermaid minus the singing) and was pleasantly surprised. This book was more dark, dramatic and full of intrigue and plot twists and turns. I got hooked immediately from the first few pages and the story totally sucked me in.

The story is told from Calder's point of view. A lot of time's, male POV's can be really hit or miss for me. They are either not manly enough, or way over the top. The author did a superb job of writing and it was perfectly done! The story itself was incredible! I was totally engrossed from the very  beginning and could not put this book down until I finished it.

The character's really came to life for me! There were some I loved, others that scared me, and some that just made me cringe. And at times, okay if I'm being honest, pretty much the entire book, I wished a lovely mer-man would come for me! tee hee

All in all this I loved this one! It was perfectly done and I can't wait to read more about this story and the characters. There will be sequel right? Someone...please tell me there is a sequel! Anyone?!?!?

5 comments :

  1. Wow!! You really enjoyed this one. I have it coming up on my reading list soon, but I am a bit skeptical. I have seen a lot of mixed reviews on it anywhere from 2 stars to 4 stars mostly. I really love male POV's so I am excited to read it, but have no expectations going into it. Great review hon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't really planning on picking this one up anytime soon since I am the type to usually shy away from male Pov's but I love mermaid books and since you also said it's a more dark read i'm really curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually not a fan of male POV's either. Just because they usually are not done well. But this one was fantastic! :)

      Delete
  3. There is a sequel! It's called Deep Betrayal, coming out next year. :) & it's from Lily's POV. So that could be interesting. I didn't enjoy this book as much as you, but it did have a cool, unique premise. I really want to read a Little Mermaid inspired book now though. I heard Jackson Pearce is coming out with one, so something to look forward to! Nice review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeek!!! I can't wait for the sequel! And yes Jackson Pearce does have one coming out this year. It's called Fathomless. I actually have an arc but its actually the third book in her fairytale retellings series. So you may have to read the 2 before it first, if you haven't already!

      Delete

Total Pageviews

About me

  • This blog is a little bit of everything!
  • Hi! My name is Cristina, I am 29 years old and from Texas! I love my bunnies, books and blogging about my favorite things!
My favorite scarf in the whole wide world! :) photo 10363858_10152526761926237_5252620513132971013_n.jpg

Cristina

Founder of the website