latest comments

Review: My Life Next Door

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
Release Date: June 14, 2012
Publisher: Dial Books for Young Readers
Pages: 395
Buy The Book: Amazon

My Life Next Door
A gorgeous debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another

“One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time. ”

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own. Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A dreamy summer read, full of characters who stay with you long after the story is over.


My Life Next Door was one of the best YA contemporary books I've read to date. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it is by far, my favorite YA contemporary book EVER! Yep, there it is. I said it! This book was the perfect combination of love, family, friendships and it all felt so real and gripping!

Samantha was a main character that I think a lot of people can identify with. She lives with her up tight single mother, and her older and wilder sister. She lives a comfortable life, including dinners at the country club but everything in her life is about to change. For as long as she can remember, Sam has watched her neighbors the Garrett's. A family of 8, full of life and love, so different from her own life with her up tight Mom. She watches their lives, and imagines what they are like. But everything changes when Jace Garrett, the boy next door, climbs her terrace. Okay first of all, I gotta LOVE Jace for this! What girl totally wouldn't swoon when the hot buy next door climbs up to her window? If you just answered no, you are CRAZY!

Jace *sighs dreamily* if I were 10 years younger I would totally be all up in his koolaid! Jace was such a great character. He was caring, kind, loving and gentle. He had a great sense of humor, he was responsible and balanced,  working, spending time with his loved ones and helping out his rather large family like a pro! On top of that he had crazy good looks that would melt a stick of butter. The only problem is Samantha's mother can't stand his family, or him!

I loved the Garrett's crazy big family. I loved the way they interacted with each other, and helped each other. They were amazing and some of my favorite parts of the story. Especially Jace's little brother George. He totally stole the show!

I liked how there was more to the story than just fluff. There were some real challenges and dilema's that these character's face. All in all this book was incredible! I couldn't put it down and read the entire book straight through. It captivated me and stole my heart.

My Life Next Door is a wonderfully done contemporary that will make you laugh, cry, and smile. This book will capture your heart and leave you wanting more!

10 comments :

  1. I want to read more contemps and this book sounds lovely ! I'm adding it to goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! It actually comes out on Thursday. You should stalk your local bookstore for it. It's fabulous!!

      Delete
  2. Wow this story sounds awesome. If you haven't ever read Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys I think you would really like that book because it is similar. There is a huge family of boys that have to allow a family friend (a girl) to live with them. The stuff that happens is so funny and the book is awesome.

    Glad you really loved this one! Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexa I am adding that one to my amazon wishlist right NOW! I know Loretta always LOVES the books you recommend to her. So I can't wait to try this one out.. Thank you!!! :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a really great book. I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Your favorite contemporary ever!?! Your excitement and love for this book really came through in the review =) I've had it on request at my library for months, and I can't wait for it to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to read more contemps this one sounds like something I would really enjoy. I have added it to my amazon wishlist so I can remember to buy it soon. Loved the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, after that wonderful review, I'm going to have to get my hands on this one! I was already looking forward to it, but to hear you call it a new favorite! It sounds amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Contemporary books are my favorite, so hearing that this book is one your favorites makes me want to read it! Jace sounds amazing, and I can't wait to hear more about him!(:

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

About me

  • This blog is a little bit of everything!
  • Hi! My name is Cristina, I am 29 years old and from Texas! I love my bunnies, books and blogging about my favorite things!
My favorite scarf in the whole wide world! :) photo 10363858_10152526761926237_5252620513132971013_n.jpg

Cristina

Founder of the website