latest comments

Review: For Darkness Shows the Stars

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
Publisher: Balzer & Bray
Release Date: June 12, 2012
Pages: 398
Interest: Dystopian/Sci-fi, YA
Format: ARC
Source: Own
Challenge: 2012 Goodreads Reading Challenge
Buy the Book: Amazon

For Darkness Shows the Stars
Generations ago, a genetic experiment gone wrong—the Reduction—decimated humanity, giving rise to a Luddite nobility who outlawed most technology.

Eighteen-year-old Luddite Elliot North has always known her place in this caste system. Four years ago Elliot refused to run away with her childhood sweetheart, the servant Kai, choosing duty to her family’s estate over love. But now the world has changed: a new class of Post-Reductionists is jumpstarting the wheel of progress and threatening Luddite control; Elliot’s estate is floundering; and she’s forced to rent land to the mysterious Cloud Fleet, a group of shipbuilders that includes renowned explorer Captain Malakai Wentforth—an almost unrecognizable Kai. And while Elliott wonders if this could be their second chance, Kai seems determined to show Elliot exactly what she gave up when she abandoned him.

But Elliot soon discovers her childhood friend carries a secret—-one that could change the society in which they live…or bring it to its knees. And again, she’s faced with a choice: cling to what she’s been raised to believe, or cast her lot with the only boy she’s ever loved, even if she has lost him forever.

Inspired by Jane Austen’s PERSUASION, FOR DARKNESS SHOWS THE STARS is a breathtaking romance about opening your mind to the future and your heart to the one person you know can break it.


I have been really excited about this book since I heard that it was a retelling of Jane Austen's Persuasion. Who doesn't love Jane Austen? I am always a bit leery of retellings, they have so much potential to be amazing, but sometimes fall short. With For Darkness Shows the Stars there is no need to be worried!

Diana perfectly captured the heart of Persuasion, the character's and the entire mood. She expertly brought the character's into the future with a wonderfully done sci-fi twist. I will say there are some differences between the original ( come on! You can't update a book like that and leave everything the same!) but the author updated the story in a respectful way to the original story that I feel will please fans of Jane Austen and Persuasion.

I really enjoyed Elliot and Kai's character's and the way they interacted with each other.The story is told from Elliot's point of view, as well as secret letters written between Kai and Elliot. I loved their back and forth banter, and competition. Elliot is just as much a dreamer as Kai but feels bound to her responsibilities. Whereas Kai doesn't let fear or duty hold him back from making those dreams become a reailty! The genetically altered humans, animals, crops ,etc was very intriguing and added much to the story.

I devoured this book in 14 hours and could not put it down! I loved the character's, the story, and everything in between the gorgeous cover and the last perfectly written page! I cannot praise this book enough!

9 comments :

  1. Wow, I love finding new favorites---so glad to hear this is a new fave for you! I'll have to give this one a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it Becky. For sure an all time fave! And the cover is gorgeous too! :)

      Delete
  2. This book sounds so good. I have been dying to read it. I love male POV's too!! Great review chick!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually don't like male POV's but it really worked for this one. I think you'd LOVE it Amy! It's soooo addicting! You can't put it down until you read the last sentence!

      Delete
  3. I loved this book the letters between the two were some of my favorite parts, so glad you enjoyed it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeek! Another fellow For Darkness Shows teh Stars lover! :) and you are totally right! Those were some of my fave parts too!

      Delete
  4. Yay so glad to see you loved this one. For so long I have been seeing rave reviews and because I have yet to read Persuasion I think this book would be a great fit for me.

    Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexa you definitely need to check it out. You will LOVE it!!!

      Delete
  5. Ooo, this sounds wonderful! I was worried and wasn't sure if I would read this one, but now I know! I'll definitely be adding this one to my list, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

About me

  • This blog is a little bit of everything!
  • Hi! My name is Cristina, I am 29 years old and from Texas! I love my bunnies, books and blogging about my favorite things!
My favorite scarf in the whole wide world! :) photo 10363858_10152526761926237_5252620513132971013_n.jpg

Cristina

Founder of the website