latest comments

Didn't Like/ Didn't Finish Friday (1)

Friday, May 4, 2012

It happens to all of us from time to time. For whatever reason, we didn't like or finish a book. Rather than post a negative review, from now on I will be doing a Didn't Like/Didn't Finish Friday. This way I can still highlight the book.  Perfect! :)

This week's pick is. . . 

Small Damages by Beth Kephart
Release Date: July 19, 2012
Publisher: Philomel
Pages: 304
Buy The Book: Amazon


Small DamagesIt’s senior year, and while Kenzie should be looking forward to prom and starting college in the fall, she is mourning the loss of her father. She finds solace in the one person she trusts, her boyfriend, and she soon finds herself pregnant. Kenzie’s boyfriend and mother do not understand her determination to keep the baby. She is sent to southern Spain for the summer, where she will live out her pregnancy as a cook’s assistant on a bull ranch, and her baby will be adopted by a Spanish couple.

Alone and resentful in a foreign country, Kenzie is at first sullen and difficult. She begins to open her eyes and her heart to the beauty that is all around her and inside of her.

I love travel books and books set in other countries. I have always loved to travel, but don't get to nearly as much as I would like. So I tend to live vicariously through the character's that do! Set in Spain, the home of bull fights and latin lovers, Small Damages looked like a book right up my alley!

This book sounded like a book of self discovery, and I am all for that! Sadly, this one just wasn't for me. The story is told in a mix of present tense and numerous flashbacks. I was pretty confused at times. Flashbacks aren't a pet peeve of mine or anything, but in this setting it really confused me.

The main character's story and background is revealed throughout the flashbacks, in which you get glimpses and peaks at here and there. I had a hard time piecing everything together and just sort of lost interest at some point. While this book wasn't for me, I'm sure there are many people out there who will love it!

Check this one out if your a fan of international travel, self discovery, and coming of age novels!

8 comments :

  1. I think I'll pass on this one - it sounds depressing to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah. It just wasn't for me. There are other people who really enjoyed it tho!

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this book, but it doesn't really sound like a book for me. I'm all for trying books out of my comfort zone, but this just doesn't sound like one for me. Especially if you couldn't get into it since we tend to like the same books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a wide variety of books. And it sounded liek I'd enjoy but for some reason I just didn't. *shrugs* It can depend on my mood though too! But yeah...I don't think you'd like it either Amy. :(

      Delete
  3. oh i really don't like when books that switch between present and past without actually TELLING US and you get all confused trying to figure out WHEN was that set? The book really looked interesting but yea i don't think its for me, especially since i am not a big fan of flashbacks to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked really interesting right?!? I LOVE travel books and stuff so...I thought I'd enjoy it. Just wasn't quite for me. There's a book for everyone tho! haha

      Delete
  4. I have this and will still give it a try, but I agree, too much jumping around in time sometimes makes me really confused. It also yanks me out of the story. For me, it depends on how it's done.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It really does depend on how its done. And a good portion depends on the reader. I'm easily destracted! haha I've read some great reviews on this, and other not so great. I think it's just one of those books you either like or don't. I hope you enjoy it! :)

      Delete

Total Pageviews

About me

  • This blog is a little bit of everything!
  • Hi! My name is Cristina, I am 29 years old and from Texas! I love my bunnies, books and blogging about my favorite things!
My favorite scarf in the whole wide world! :) photo 10363858_10152526761926237_5252620513132971013_n.jpg

Cristina

Founder of the website