latest comments

Slide

Monday, March 26, 2012

Slide by Jill Hathaway
Release Date: March 27, 2012
Publisher: Balzar + Bray
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 256
Format: ARC
Source: Own
Challenges: 2012 Goodreads Reading Challenge, 2012 Debut Author Challenge
Buy the Book: Amazon


Slide (Slide, #1)
 Vee Bell is certain of one irrefutable truth—her sister’s friend Sophie didn’t kill herself. She was murdered.

Vee knows this because she was there. Everyone believes Vee is narcoleptic, but she doesn’t actually fall asleep during these episodes: When she passes out, she slides into somebody else’s mind and experiences the world through that person’s eyes. She’s slid into her sister as she cheated on a math test, into a teacher sneaking a drink before class. She learned the worst about a supposed “friend” when she slid into her during a school dance. But nothing could have prepared Vee for what happens one October night when she slides into the mind of someone holding a bloody knife, standing over Sophie’s slashed body.

Vee desperately wishes she could share her secret, but who would believe her? It sounds so crazy that she can’t bring herself to tell her best friend, Rollins, let alone the police. Even if she could confide in Rollins, he has been acting off lately, more distant, especially now that she’s been spending more time with Zane.

Enmeshed in a terrifying web of secrets, lies, and danger and with no one to turn to, Vee must find a way to unmask the killer before he or she strikes again.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I LOVE a good old fashioned murder mystery! So of course, I was really psyched to pick up Slide by Jill Hathaway. I really loved the main character, Sylivia, aka Vee. She was unique, and different from any other YA character I've read about. She is a pink haired narcoleptic, which in case your wondering what that is, is someone who falls asleep randomly. I loved that quirkiness of Vee's character, it was unique and intruiging. I also really loved her strength and her commitment to her family. She never uses her narcolepsy as an excuse to get out of anything!

While I liked Slide and enjoyed reading it, it wasn't quite what I was hoping for. I can't quite put my finger on what it is that didn't impress me. I didn't dislike it, I just didn't fall in love with it. It was a quick read, which I always enjoy. It wasn't as suspenseful as I'd have hoped. I'd classify this one as more of a mystery/sleuth type of book. I would have liked for things to move along quicker, but by the last 50 pages I finally got the suspense that I was looking for.

I thought it was intriguing that Vee would slide into other people's lives. I definitely didn't have the killer pegged. Which is always a plus for me. I like to be surprised! Although personally, the killer wasn't really justified in what they were doing. Their motive for everything they did just seemed...far fetched to me, or reaching if you will.

All in all it was a quick read. It was enjoyable, just not my favorite. If you like mysteries and sleuth books there's a good chance you will enjoy reading Slide!




4 comments :

  1. yay! I do agree with you, I love Vee! She is unique and quirky! Im glad the killer wasnt obvious, because i love to be surprised as well! Great Review Crissy!!

    Farah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Farah! We'll have to talk when you finish reading it. The ending ( not to be confused with the amazing epilogue) just really irked me lol

      Delete
  2. Sorry you didn't like it as much as I did :(
    You'll have to email me and tell me what it was about the ending that irked you.
    I do wish there were more YA mysteries -- what did you think of Last Echo and Perception??

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's too bad that this didn't live up to your expectations. I really want to read this one, even with seeing some of the more negative reviews. I guess I won't know if I will like it if I don't read it myself. I have been looking forward to this one for a while.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

About me

  • This blog is a little bit of everything!
  • Hi! My name is Cristina, I am 29 years old and from Texas! I love my bunnies, books and blogging about my favorite things!
My favorite scarf in the whole wide world! :) photo 10363858_10152526761926237_5252620513132971013_n.jpg

Cristina

Founder of the website